Monday, May 12, 2014

Slow Cooker Ham and Beans with Wild Garlic Chives


I love after major holidays when whole sliced hams go on sale.  I will buy as many as can fit in my freezer.  I know that each ham is worth at least four dinners for my family of five: sliced ham, ham stroganoff, ham and spinach quiche and finally, ham and beans with the meaty ham bone.  The ham and beans dish is one of my favorites and disappears in our house quickly. You can substitute a package of diced ham or ham hocks if necessary.

Slow Cooker Ham and Beans with Wild Garlic Chives

Ingredients:

1 lb of white beans, presoaked over night 
1 meaty ham bone, or package of diced ham or ham hocks
2 sprigs of Rosemary, chopped
Handful of wild garlic chives, chopped
Broth, about three pints
Salt and pepper

Directions:

Add ham bone to slow cooker. Add drained beans around bone. Add Rosemary and chives. Pour broth over ingredients until completely covered. Mix.

Cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with corn bread and chow chow!




No comments:

Post a Comment