Thursday, January 15, 2015

Cooking with Tea Candle Lights!


How would you cook if the electricity went out for an extended period?  Grilling or roasting over a fire is great but requires a lot of wood, and if you want to keep your efforts unnoticed, not the optimal choice.

My daughter and I tried an experiment today, cooking by tea light! Amazingly, it works great. I am very impressed. I bought the cooking tea light frame (looks like it used to hold a casserole) and the camp chef charcoal lighter basket from Goodwill for about $4. I used five tea candles for each.

The beans (beginning with dry - not soaked) were hard but edible after two hours and done at about five hours.

My daughter tried the cake in the camp chef. We mixed the cake in a metal bowl and put it in the camp chef basket with a top on the bowl. Then added to foil over it to retain the heat. The cake was done after about 2.5 hours. I think it would be excellent for a chocolate lava cake which I usually make in a crock pot.

The camp chef basket is perfect because it has just the right amount of room beneath it for candles. Needless to say, I just ordered a ton of tea candles from Amazon! Nice to have in an emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment